Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I am a failure.

I am a failure.

I’m worried that the beginnings of every blog entry I’ll ever write on here are all going to start out in the same way: with me talking about how at the end of my last blog I planned on doing X, and now, some time later, I find myself having failed spectacularly to do X.

At least, that’s certainly how today’s entry is going to begin. I dearly hope that the beginning of everything I write won’t start sounding like a broken record, but even if it does… well I’m sure that you, the wonderful people of the internet, will forgive me!

So, the last entry ended with the revelation that my review of Season 2 of Smallville was on its way. As it turns out, it wasn’t. In fact, it turns out that I got so addicted to watching Smallville that I just couldn’t find the time to blog – I just wanted to spend as much time as possible watching Smallville. And plus I had scripts to write, and I had to do work experience (where I saw Lenny Henry and Liam Gallagher!), and that took up a lot of my time, too. Anyway, so addicted to Smallville did I become that I hurtled through the seasons so quickly that I barely had the time to take everything in, let alone blog about them! And it was that Clark Kent-esque Super Speed journey through the show which led me to the troubling position I’m in now: I’ve just finished Season 9, and I'm now faced with the daunting task of having to wait until THE END OF OCTOBER until I can even begin to watch Season 10.Stupid DVD release date being pushed back and what have you. :(

Why do I do things like that to myself?! If I’d paced myself slightly I might have been able to make those nine seasons last until the tenth one was released on DVD. In fact, forget “might have” been able to – I would have been able to. If the show itself lasted for ten years, I’m sure I could have made it last a few more weeks! But no. To reiterate, that’s how addicted to it I was. What can I say, I’m a Superman junkie, and Smallville was just the next stop on the big ol’ Superman road.

Now, it would be kind of silly to try and talk about each season individually since a) it’s been so long since I watched the early stuff, and b) I watched the episodes in such quick succession that many of them have sort of all gone into a kind of blur. Haha, see what I did there? Oh, the hilarity. But yes, I really don’t think that would be a good idea.

What would be a better idea, though, I think, would be to do something else. What I want to do is perhaps do a blog entry about each of the main characters. Now, I’m a student, and my best subject has always always always been English Literature, and one of the things I love most about English Lit is exploring character. Any exam I do, I’m almost guaranteed to have chosen to write an essay about the characters within a novel. It’s what I do best and it’s what I enjoy. So I figured that might be the best approach to take on here, too. This way, I can have fun discussing the characters, and it also gives me the opportunity to talk about important events that happen in each season.

At the same time, though, I know what I’m like. I say now that I’m going to write about the various characters, but whether or not I do – or at least the matter of how many I write about – remains to be seen. But I’m going to try my damned best. Because I’m determined to update this blog more than I updated my old one. And I really do want to write about these things. And this is a really good way of helping to bridge the gap between my viewing of Season 9 and my viewing of Season 10.

Now, I’m not ruling out the possibility of talking about episodes, because there are definitely certain episodes – or at least moments within certain episodes – that I would like to talk about. But I think I should get over the first hurdle before I do anything else.

So, faithful viewer, I’m going to do my damned best to write about as many characters as I can. Writing is good for me, and I’m happy when I do it, so I know that it’ll be a thing worth doing. So all I can say, I guess, is stay tuned! I hope to have my first character blog up and ready soon. I’m not going to do every person who’s ever appeared in a title sequence, though; for example, I’m not going to talk about (the impossibly annoying) Pete, and I’m not going to talk about Jason or even Kara. I might not even talk about Oliver. But rest assured, I will talk about Chloe. And Lex. And Lana. And Lois. And, of course, Clark.

And I’m also going to try and review some other things, too. This isn’t a “Julia Reviews Smallville” blog, after all, it’s a “Julia Reviews TV” blog. So I might try and slip in a review of Outnumbered or Doctor Who or something. We’ll see how it goes. As always, though, school does take priority in my life, so if need be this blog will be put on hold in favour of school work. This term is supposed to be a very busy one for me, but I will try and set aside as much time for this as possible.

Happy reading!

Julia
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment